We Plant Smiles
That’s what it’s all about with us—creating and maintaining beautiful, sustainable gardens and landscapes—that create smiles.
Founded in 1987, The Village Gardener, Inc., has expanded to be one of the few providers of high-quality landscape installation and maintenance services using integrated pest management and sustainable landscaping practices. We are highly respectful of our clients, dedicated to stringent quality standards and committed to the principles of sustainable landscaping.
For us, each landscape is a story unto itself and needs specific care. We never take a cookie cutter approach to the design, care, or maintenance of your garden.
We believe that nature in its purest state, unadulterated by artificial fertilizers and chemicals, makes for the best gardens and healthy places in which to live. And our landscape design, construction and maintenance services reflect this philosophy.
Our Holistic Philosophy
Using a holistic approach to landscape design and management, we look at the whole picture of each individual landscape. We have the experience, knowledge base, and resources to locate potential problems and the provide healthy solutions for them—rather than applying a patch to an existing problem that will re-occur or cause more havoc down the line.
Our Commitment To Education
The Village Gardener provides education about protecting the health of our families and the environment. By regularly presenting at seminars and public speaking events, we further the cause of sensible landscape management.
The Village Gardener is an award winning landscaping company. We have participated in the California Landscape Contractors Association’s Achievement Awards program, the San Francisco Flower and Garden Show’s “Garden Creators” and the Northern California Turf and Landscape Council.
Top Reasons For Landscaping
- Landscaping is the one home improvement that actually appreciates over time.
- Wall Street Journal notes Landscape investments are fully recovered and sometimes doubled from increasing real estate values.
- Homes with “excellent” landscaping can expect a sale price about six to seven percent higher than equivalent houses with “good” landscaping, while improving landscaping from “average” to “good” can result in a four to five percent increase. Source: Clemson University.
- Landscaping can bring a recovery value of 100 to 200 percent at selling time. Kitchen remodeling brings a 75 to 125 percent recovery rate, bathroom remodeling a 20 to 120 percent recovery rate, and addition of a swimming pool a 20 to 50 percent recovery rate. Source: Money Magazine
- A mature tree can often have an appraised value of between $1,000 and $10,000. Source: Council of Tree and Landscape Appraisers.
- Landscaping can reduce air conditioning costs by up to 50 percent, by shading the windows and walls of a home. Source: American Public Power Association.
- Trees can reduce bothersome noise by up to 50 percent and can mask unwanted noises with pleasant sounds. Source: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Native plants do not require fertilizer, they help reduce air pollution, they provide food and shelter for wildlife, thereby inviting birds and butterflies back home.
- Top reasons people garden: To be outdoors (44%); to be around beautiful things (42%); relax and escape the pressures of everyday life (39%); stay active and get exercise (35%). Source: American Demographics, Roper Report.
- Lower noise levels
- Blocks or buffers unpleasant views
- Reduces vandalism and crime
- Optimizes the use of land and outdoor space